Since VMware is now available on AWS as well, one of my customer using VMware on-premise have started playing with VMC on AWS. They like the same management console and similar GUI but have certain inhibitions, mostly towards data protection in VMC on AWS. AWS, truth being said still does not offer enterprise level data protection services for IT to function without having a heart attack. Fortunately, Dell EMC is one of the first provider to bring cloud-enabled, self-service data protection for VMware’s enterprise class Software-Defined Data Center to the AWS Cloud. Whether expanding services on-premises or in the public cloud, Dell EMC provides the same world class data protection with superior compression and deduplication. Dell EMC Data Protection for VMware Cloud on AWS is available as a single bundle and includes the data protection software and protection storage needed to protect your data and applications running on VMware Cloud on AWS. For those of whom are new to the idea of VMware Cloud on AWS the following write up can help you to bring up to speed. Below schematic shows the high-level overview of VMware Cloud on AWS:
VMware Cloud on AWS can also allow you to migrate and move data to native AWS cloud also as shown in figure below.
Dell EMC offers a bundle for customers wanting to protect their VMware Cloud on AWS environments that includes Dell EMC Data Protection Software and Data Domain Virtual Edition (DD Virtual Edition). Below are some salient features of the licensing bundle:
- Similar pricing to VMware Cloud on AWS pricing: Pricing is per host – 1 or 3 year subscription model.
- Best-in-class deduplication lowers cloud consumption costs.
- vSphere integration and attractive pricing that makes it painless to protect VMware workloads on VMware Cloud on AWS
- DD Virtual Edition now expands to 96 TB, leveraging object storage for even more cost efficiencies
- File based backups and recoveries, VM image based backups and restores etc. supported.
The solution for Data Protection in VMC on AWS includes: NetWorker, DDVE, CB and AVE, which can be used as per requirement by customers. The solution allows to take backups on S3 or on EBS devices devices as per performance and cost requirements. DellEMC DPS solution offers below functionalities as of now.
Customers can also leverage Cloud DR (spinning up VMware VMs in AWS or VMC in AWS in case of DR) functionality from DellEMC as well in case of a disaster. Hence making another use case of DR to VMC from on-premise a possibility for customer now. With this feature added now DellEMC Data protection software allows customers:
- to keep long term retention data on object storage such as S3, Azure LRS etc.
- to leverage public clouds like Azure, AWS and VMC on AWS as a DR site
- to run production workloads on public clouds by providing data protection in public cloud as well.
More details about DellEMC Data Protection Solution in VMC on AWS can be read here.