Few weeks back DellEMC released a newer version of Cloud Snapshot Manager. Just in case if you are not aware, it is a Software as a Service solution, fully operated by DellEMC providing our customers the control, automation and visibility over their AWS workload protection in cloud. Cloud Apps specifically applications in AWS are agile and can scale really fast due to nature of service in AWS, they need different kind of data protection. Yes we have NetWorker, DDVE, AVE and CloudBoost in AWS and they have their own use case. AWS workloads are a bit different, we do not see the hypervisor (which is by the way customized XEN) and have limited abilities in AWS (courtesy AWS.), this makes data protection in AWS a bit different. Below are some reasons which make traditional data protection not a complete solution for AWS workloads.
Now taking snaps from native EC2 (Elastic Cloud Compute – VM in AWS), EBS, RDS etc. by CSM has many benefits some of which are listed below:
- Snapshots provide incremental forever protection, CSM calls and retains same snapshots which AWS natively uses, only this time with added benefits which we will see.
- Snapshot are of EBS, EC2 storage, RDS machines, whereas native snapshots only support protection of EBS and RDS workload.
- Snapshots are incremental forever and are compressed before they are written to S3 storage, since S3 is globally available data is in secure and durable storage.
- Native snapshots cannot be restored in another region (without massive scripting), but by CSM its a simple restore, this also is beneficial in case a complete AWS region goes away.
- Since CSM leverages AWS APIs for the snapshot and CSM portal infra is managed by DellEMC, customers do not have to manage backup server, backup storage etc. as I mentioned this is a SaaS service. This is not the case with Veritas Cloudpoint which is lot more difficult to manage. The same is true with Commvault, Veeam and Rubrik. They all have to deploy a backup server in AWS to get the backups started, with CSM you can start backups in 4-5 mins. That’s the whole promise of CLOUD – AGILITY.
- Restores are much faster when restoring from Snapshots and snapshots can be taken even if the RDS, EC2 machines are down.
- The only way to protect RDS – Relational Database service in AWS (which hosts Oracle, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, Aurora, Maria DB and MySQL) is via Snapshots, which CSM does promptly and by the way as of now Rubrik does not support data protection for RDS machines in AWS at all.
- CSM allows you to have any retention in AWS (more than 35 days) for EC2, EBS, RDS etc. which is not possible with native AWS data protection.
- CSM allows for resources such as EC2, EBS, RDS to be automatically protected by native AWS TAGS (tags are metadata specific to an organization that can be added to cloud resources). Tags can help in reporting, compliance, show-back and charge-back etc. CSM allows for automatic assignment of resources to protection policies to achieve auto-scaling for data protection. So that you can set it and forget it.
- CSM supports multi-tenancy, support for backup of multiple AWS account, multiple regions, multiple availability zones with ONE CONSOLE, which as of today no other vendor has.
- With new release of CSM, we have support for file level recovery from the snapshots! Native AWS snapshots do not support FLR from snapshots.
- CSM has also added copying the snapshots to another region, which enables customer to have a proper DR plan, since if region X gets lost, they do not need to worry, since their backup console is with DellEMC and not in region X and their snapshots are at DR site (region Y).
- CSM also can quiesce applications using VSS architecture for a application consistent snapshot for the Microsoft applications.
- Normal scripting / AWS native snapshots etc. do not provide audit logs, reporting etc. whereas, the HTML 5 console of CSM does it all for any number of AWS accounts, regions etc.
Just in case you want to try it yourself, take it for a spin or ask your customer to use the trial version for 30 days at Cloud Snapshop Manager – Data Protection | Dell EMC US